Carl P. Goodwin
October 27, 1922 - August 12, 2008
Carl was born October 27, 1922 in Fort Wayne, IN. Graduating from South Side High School in 1940, he then joined the United States Marines from 1942 through 1946, during World War II and Pacific Theater. Returning home after the war he entered the Indiana School of Mortuary Science in Indianapolis and receiving his Mortuary Science degree. He then was hired by Ralph Jahn at the Ralph Jahn Funeral Home in Bluffton, and left three years later to work for D.O. McCombs in Fort Wayne. In 1955, Carl returned to Bluffton with fellow worker Al Reed and they joined as partners with Ralph Jahn. In 1956 Carl bought out both Jahn and Reed and the funeral home has since been in the "Goodwin" name.
Carl served his community in many ways, through his services as Mayor of Bluffton from 1967 to 1971, serving as the only Republican mayor of Bluffton in over 50 years. He played an instrumental role in building the current Police/Fire Department building, upgrading the sanitation system, and building which are now the facilities on Compromise Lane.
A past president and active member in the Kiwanis Club, Carl was a member of the St. Joseph Catholic Church, a member of the Indiana Funeral Director's Association, and member of the Independent Funeral Director's Association.
On August 12, 2008, Carl passed away from a short illness. He left a long legacy of community service to both the families in which he served and the public in which he so much enjoyed.